The Normans built the first castle in Cockermouth in 1134, mainly from stone from the Roman settlement, in what is now called Papcastle. Significant additions were made in the 13th and 14th centuries, and the castle played a significant role in the Wars of the Roses, and the Civil Wars of the 1640’s. After this it was dismantled on the orders of Parliament, and much of it is still in a ruinous condition.
the view above shows the Wyndham rooms built along the North wall of the outer bailey, and this is now the home of the Dowager Lady Egremont.
J B Bradbury, local historian, has published in his series of booklets ‘Cockermouth in Pictures’ Number 3 – describing in drawing and text the Castle and its history. This is available in the local craft and book shops, and the Tourist Information Centre.
the Castle is not open to the public except on special occasions. It it usually open on certain days during the Cockermouth Festival in July.